Create a Shopify online store in 11 steps: the guide
Shopify is one of the most popular e-commerce systems.
It is easy to use, which makes it a great option for beginners who want to create a Shopify store.
However, there are a few common mistakes that people make when creating their Shopify store.
In this article, we'll show you how to create a Shopify store that converts!
1. Find a niche you are passionate about
What's your niche?
The key to success on Shopify is to find a niche that you are passionate about and put all your efforts into it.
It's not always easy, but it's the only way to succeed in the long run. There is so much to do when you start an online business, and it's easy to get discouraged or lose sight of your goal.
If you don't find your niche, you will end up giving up or trying to do everything at once and never get anywhere.
But if you find a niche that you are passionate about, there is no limit to what you can accomplish.
Not only that, but you'll also be able to better connect with your target audience, and there, half the battle is already won.
Fortunately, there are a number of online tools that allow you to measure the demand for a product or market.
Facebook Audience Insights
Facebook Audience Insights is a free tool that helps you learn more about an audience.
It aggregates information about Facebook users and helps determine the size of a potential niche and the relevant interests for that niche.
You can use Facebook Audience Insights to find information such as:
- Demographics: age, gender, lifestyle, education, job role, relationship status, etc.
- Pages: categories and topics of interest to an audience.
- Location: where people live and the languages they speak.
- Activity: Facebook ads clicked, comments, promotions used, devices used, etc. For example, if you want to explore a niche like fitness and wellness, you can type in any keyword and Facebook will show you how many monthly active people are interested in that niche worldwide.
Let's take meditation, for example. You can see below that between 1.5 and 1.8 million people on Facebook are interested in meditation in France.
This is a good indicator that meditation could be a profitable niche.
You can also look at sub-niches, such as yoga pants, Buddhist meditation, meditation music, and any other related interests to explore different product ideas.
The estimated size of your audience will change depending on the interests you include.
You can refine this audience depending on the location.
For example, if you want to target people living in Paris, you can search by that city only, and then see the main interests of this more targeted audience in relation to meditation.
This information can help you see what topics people are interested in, so you can better test different ad groups later and get a better return on your ad spend.
Google Keyword Planner.
The best way to measure demand for an item online is to see how many people search for it using a search engine like Google.
Fortunately, Google makes this volume of research available to the public via its Just type in a word or phrase and the tool tells you how many people search for it each month.
Master the following three parameters and you'll be on your way to getting the most out of this valuable tool:
- Match Type: Search for interest over time.
- Search location: Be sure to look at the difference between local search volume (in your country or a user-defined region) and global search volume. If you sell primarily in the U.S., you should focus on local search volumes and ignore global results.
- Long tail variations: It's easy to focus on the general one- or two-word terms that get considerable search volume. In reality, it's the longer, more specific, low search volume queries that make up the bulk of your traffic from the search engines. These more detailed search terms are commonly referred to as 'long tail' searches.
If a search term has many variants that are actively searched, it's a good sign that the market is quite deep, with lots of variety and interest.
On the other hand, if search queries and associated volume drop off sharply after the first few high-level words, there is probably less long-tail traffic.
The keyword research tool is great for getting raw search numbers, but for more detailed information, many people useThis tool gives you information that Google's Keyword Planner does not, including:
- Search for interest over time. Ideally, you want the niche you're entering to be growing, and the trend can tell you if it is. For any given search query, you can see the growth or decline in search volume over time.
- The most popular terms and those that are gaining in popularity. You'll also be able to get an overview of the most popular related searches and the queries that have grown in popularity the fastest. Focusing on these terms can be helpful in planning your marketing and SEO efforts.
- Geographic focus. Another useful feature is the ability to see where people are searching for a term geographically. This can help you identify where your customer base for a specific niche is most concentrated. For example, if you sell canoes, you'll want to determine where the majority of your customers will come from.
- Seasonality. Understanding the seasonality of a market, that is, whether the demand for a product changes dramatically at different times of the year, is critical. Since the keyword tool provides data on a monthly basis, you can draw misleading conclusions if you measure search volumes at the wrong time of year. It's a safe bet that the term canoe is a very seasonal search term, with demand peaking during the summer months. If you measure demand in the summer and think that it will be constant throughout the year, you are vastly overestimating the magnitude of demand.
Using the Google Trends tool to understand search volumes, geographic focus, high-level search trends and seasonality will provide you with insights that will help you avoid costly mistakes and optimize your marketing efforts.
So find your niche, focus on it and give it everything you've got. With time and effort, you will succeed.
2. Open an account on Shopify.
To create an eCommerce site with Shopify, first go toBy entering your email address and password, you create a user account and at the same time your shopify online store.
You will also get a 14 day trial period. This gives you time to design and build your store.
3. Choose a theme and colors that match your business.
Shopify themes are templates that determine the look and feel of your website for customers visiting your store.
Different themes offer different styles and layouts.
In addition, each theme offers a different user interface, depending on how it is designed.
How to choose a Shopify theme?
When starting a new online store, it is important to choose a theme and colors that reflect the nature of your business.
This will help potential customers quickly understand what your business is about and what you have to offer.
For example, if you are opening a bakery, you may want to use colors like white and pink, which are associated with purity and softness.
Similarly, if you are starting a gym, you may want to use colors like black and red, which convey strength and energy.
By carefully choosing your theme and colors, you can create a strong visual identity for your business that will help you stand out from the competition.
If you're still undecided, consider consulting a professional who can help you choose the perfect theme and color scheme for your Shopify store.
To choose a theme on its own, just follow its 4 steps:
- Browse through
- Check features and comments
- Preview theme
- Get the theme of your choice
3 Examples of good Shopify themes
Now you know how to choose a suitable Shopify theme for your store.
Before you go looking for yours, let's take a look at some good Shopify themes and discuss what sets them apart from the rest.
You may find the right theme for you here!
is one of the best free Shopify themes.
This theme is designed for the clothing and accessories niche.
For this reason, it focuses on a brand image by allowing you to show your inventory with amazing visuals.
Among the features:
- A sliding cart: allows customers to easily add items to their cart without leaving the current page.
- Home page slideshow: Use the top of your homepage to showcase multiple products or brand images.
- Video integration: Grab attention, tell your story and showcase your best products in action by embedding a YouTube or Vimeo video on your page.
Looking for a lightweight, easy-to-use Shopify theme that will help you quickly set up a remarkable store?
$240 value, might be what you're looking for.
One of Icon's main strengths is that it's designed to power omnichannel marketing campaigns.
This is thanks to seamless social media integration and a blog to power your content marketing.
Among other features:
- Sticky navigation: Your menus stay fixed at the top of your page as customers scroll down.
- Quick product display: Customers can view product details in a pop-up window, without having to leave the current page.
- Multi-column menu: Allows you to present product images in a large multi-column drop-down menu.
Do you have a large number of products in stock?
Then you need a Shopify theme that allows you to present them in an elegant way,
Your theme should also make it easy for your customers to find what they are looking for.
is one of the best Shopify themes that can help you do this and more.
That's because some of the prominent features of the theme include drop down menu bars, advanced search functionality and a dynamic slideshow.
Other features you can expect are:
- Versatile sidebar area: You can use your sidebar to display blog posts, images, ads, etc.
- Product image rotation: By hovering the mouse over the products, you can display different product images, which allows customers to get a better idea before buying.
- Grid-like layout : This feature allows you to display multiple products or promotions in a grid-like layout in your store.
It's also designed to highlight your promotions, which drives conversions..
4. Proceed with the settings of your Shopify site,
Most Shopify themes allow you to make simple changes that change the look of any website quickly.
So you won't end up with something similar to thousands of websites.
In your admin dashboard screen, select the Customize button right next to your theme and you will see all the features, sections of the online store.
Try, move, add...
This can be a great time to understand your settings and test all the features to see what your site can accomplish like:
- Borders and shadows
- Variant pill buttons
- Content containers
- Multimedia support
- Drop-down menus and pop-ups
- Social media
- Search behavior
- Currency format
- Modify theme styles
- Undo and restore changes
5. Choose a domain name
The domain name you use to create the website should be available and especially related to the product you sell.
Avoid website domains containing words like 'discount' 'rebate' 'pascher'..
First of all you can buy a domain name on Shopify that is automatically added to your site. This saves you time especially if you do not know Webhosting.
To do this, you simply click on 'Choose my name'.
Once the payment is complete Shopify will give you your own domain name.
Secondly, you can buy a domain from another web host.
If someone can not remember your domain name by hearing it once, you have a domain name that is not very good.
Let's say you sell homemade cookies in France.
Finding that .com, .net or even .co domain name can be very difficult, even impossible.
But you don't have to give up.
Instead of misspelling it as cookiemaisonn.com, with the extra 'n', you can keep the spelling, for example cookiemaison.store, and you won't have to change the spelling.
By keeping the correct spelling, you avoid confusion with spelling mistakes.
To do this, you can do a radio test.
Call your family and friends, say your domain name and ask them to write it down.
If they wrote it correctly without any mistakes, then you have taken a good name.
The purpose of the radio test is to find out if people will spell the name correctly when they hear it on the phone, on the radio, in a conversation or in any other informal situation.
6. Create a compelling offer to your prospects
Creating an attractive offer is the key to success in your online store.
You need to convince your potential customers that they need what you are selling and that your product is the best option available.
A great way to do this is to create a sense of urgency.
For example, you can offer a limited time discount or include free shipping on orders over a certain amount.
You can also highlight the unique features of your product and emphasize how it can benefit your customers.
Finally, make it easy for the customer to buy by providing a clear call to action.
By creating a compelling offer, you'll be more likely to convert potential customers into loyal fans, as well as attract new customers and grow your ecommerce business.
Creating a compelling offer requires a thorough knowledge of your target audience, their needs and above all the respect of 4 key points:
- An attractive offer
- Risk reversal
- A sense of urgency
An attractive Offer
Obviously, an attractive offer must contain the offer itself.
It has to be something attractive that will entice your potential customers to buy.
There are at least two things that every compelling offer has in common: it is clear (not misleading) and it offers great value.
First, there should be no doubt about what exactly you are offering.
What you are selling must be perfectly clear (this should go without saying, but many brands and companies make this mistake), because confused people are not very likely to buy from you.
How to make sure your offer is clear and straightforward enough.
In this case, you need to use your writing skills to make sure the offer is accurately described and not shrouded in mystery.
Also, whenever possible, you should use numbers, percentages, dates and quantities to clarify the details of your offer.
Second, as mentioned earlier, you must offer something of real value to your customers.
Be careful not to over-promise or under-deliver.
In many cases, offers that don't provide real value end up being challenged and often result in a refund and/or a bad review.
Sure, it's easy enough if you're Nike or Apple and you already have an established base of loyal customers who know the quality of your products..
But what if you still have a quality product or service to offer, but are new to the industry and just trying to get your share of the market?
People who don't know your company, brand or products are going to be suspicious and skeptical.
They won't buy from you just because you say you have a good product.
Instead, you need to allay their concerns and convince them that you can deliver on the promise of your offer - and that's where risk reversal comes in.
In fact, it's been proven that risk reversal can double your conversion rate.
That being said, your compelling offer must include some sort of risk-reversal incentive.
Some of the most commonly used risk-reversal techniques include a free trial or money-back guarantee.
When there is a risk reversal, people know that their money is not going to go down the drain by leaving them with a bad product or service and, therefore, they are more likely to buy.
It is indisputable that customers love bonuses.
Think of all the times that a bonus offer, combined with the main product, made you buy something.
Bonuses can take many forms - they can be an additional product, a discount, a voucher, a gift card, and much more.
They are essential to your compelling offer.
Keep in mind that a 'bonus' doesn't necessarily mean you have to lower your prices or give something away for free - it simply means you are adding value to your initial, core offer, making it more compelling.
A sense of urgency
A sense of urgency is a powerful mechanism that can make your offer even more effective.
In most cases, the sense of urgency is created by associating an expiration date to your offer.
It is human nature to not want to miss out on something potentially great (there is even a phenomenon called FOMO - fear of missing out).
That said, a countdown clock (combined with a risk reversal or bonus) is often more than enough to push us into action and get us to buy before the time runs out.
If you don't want to set an expiration date for your attractive offer, you can create a sense of scarcity by limiting the number of items or locations available..
7. Add your products to your store
There are several ways to add products to your store.
Either manually or automatically.
Whether it's for a dropshipping business model, or a more classic business model, there are tools like Oberlo that allow you to directly import products to sell from sites like Aliexpress.
This can be very useful especially if you manage several stores and you don't want to spend too much time adding products one by one.
Oberlo is a free extension available on the Shopify website.
There are also other paid tools like Dropified that offer more features than Oberlo.
Oberlo is a dropshipping app for Shopify that helps you find trendy products to add to your store.
It also allows you to import products from AliExpress.
Oberlo allows you to import any product from AliExpress into your store.
This means that the product, description, photos and other information will all be copied to your site.
You can change this information to make the copy and photo better fit your store's theme, or you can keep it as is.
There are currently over 6,500 merchants using Using the Oberlo application to add products to your dropshipping store is easy.
All you need to do to get started is follow these steps:
- Open Oberlo
- Choose a product you like
- Add it to your store
With this application, you get the ability to use powerful search tools to find profitable products to add and import into your online store with just one click.. is an eCommerce platform that gives you an overview of your products through an easy-to-navigate user interface and simplifies most of the day-to-day operations of a business and its dropshipping needs.
You can promote and market your products to increase traffic to your startup with easy steps highlighted by video training.
You can also automate the entire dropshipping process, from order processing to shipping options.
This application is similar to Oberlo. A large collection of products is made available to you, but what distinguishes Oberlo from Dropified is that the former uses the Shopify platform.
Overall, Dropified offers an alternative, with powerful features and low startup costs.
You don't have to worry about inventory and shipping costs, which are the two main reasons entrepreneurs use this platform..
When adding products to your store, make sure you provide detailed and high quality information.
Visitors should be able to understand what you are selling and how it could help them.
It is useful to first create collections, which will group products that have certain characteristics in common.
This will help organize your store, and help customers find what they are looking for without having to click through your entire catalog.
8. Add quality content and great images
It is important to add quality content and images to your e-commerce site to make it look attractive and professional.
Canva and Photoshop are two popular tools that can help you create quality images.
Canva is especially useful for creating simple and elegant designs, while Photoshop is more suitable for more complex images.
Adding high-quality images to your eCommerce site can also help improve your SEO, which means you will rank higher in search results.
In addition, visitors generally appreciate websites that offer a pleasant visual experience.
Therefore, taking the time to add quality content and images to your website can be a great investment.
You can also photograph your products at home. A small investment will still be required:
Smartphone or camera
If you don't have a DSLR or other camera, don't worry, any high quality smartphone will do.
All you need is good megapixels and good resolutions to make the product image clear.
If you want to take pictures at home, it's hard to find a good location.
A white background does its magic; it makes the product image brighter and adds color contrast, which makes the color stand out.
The white background gives a more professional look to the photo shoot.
A tripod allows you to keep your hands free and stabilize the frame.
When you don't have your hands on the camera, you can adjust the product in your frame.
By remaining stable, the focus is maintained for a longer shot, and it also helps in low light situations.
Try to get a room with natural light; it would be much better, but obviously sunlight is not under your control.
If you want to get better lighting effects and adjust the light, you can rent an artificial light.
This will help you manipulate and control all aspects of the shoot.
And if you can invest a little more, you can get a photo studio softbox.
It is portable, so you can move it around easily, it has the right amount of light to enhance your product images and get a better result.
It is an optional choice, but if you can, you should consider getting one.
One of the most important parts of a photo shoot is editing, and it's important to have the right application to do it.
The right application will edit the photos with a little adjustment and give them a final touch that will make them more professional.
There are many editing applications available, the best of which are mentioned below:
This is an Adobe product; this application can be used to crop, correct red eyes, adjust brightness, add different effects, add more to images.
It is one of the best applications available in the market, and you can also buy advanced editing features if you want.
If you want to theme the images of your store's products on your social websites and your store's website, this is the app for you.
Whether it's making adjustments to set the geometry and composition of the image, healing parts of the image, making batch edits and synchronizing future edits, everything can be done with this app.
9. Promote your shopify store
When it comes to promoting your Shopify store, there are a number of different channels you can use to reach your target audience.
Social media is a must.
Advertising on Facebook is one of the most effective ways to promote your store.
You can create targeted ads that reach people interested in what you're selling.
Instagram is another great way to promote your store. By posting beautiful photos of your products, you can attract potential customers and get them interested in what you have to offer.
You can also use Google and Pinterest to promote your store.
By creating compelling content and using keywords that people search for, you can attract new visitors to your site and increase your chances of making a sale.
By promoting your Shopify store through multiple channels in social networks, you can reach a wider audience and increase your sales..
I highly recommend starting a Google search campaign, but be extremely careful how you advertise.. is perfect for entrepreneurs who want to advertise their Shopify store
Google search only works if you are extremely specific in what you advertise, otherwise you may spend a lot of money..
The reason is that you only want to reach users who are looking for the exact products you sell, or products that are close to them.
For example, if you sell posters, don't advertise on 'posters', advertise on the posters you sell.
For example, instead of advertising on keywords such as 'posters' or 'wall art', advertise on Van Gogh posters, or even on one of his more specific works such as 'starry nights'. See the example below.
Make this very targeted approach work and start making money before expanding to other, broader keywords.
For even more information, here are the top 6 tips for promoting your Shopify store on Google Search:
- Match Type : As mentioned above, be very specific in the keywords you bid on.Also, start with exact match search queries.This ensures that you will only run an ad if someone enters a search query that exactly matches your keyword. If you start with a broad match, you may run into searches that are not as relevant.
- Network: Start by advertising on Google.com. Avoid advertising on the display network (for your search ads) at all costs, and I would avoid going with the search networks, at least to start. Test performance first, then expand.
- Conversion tracking: This is critical, make sure you have conversion tracking set up to see how your search ads are generating sales.
- Geo-targeting: When setting up your search campaigns, make sure you only target the locations where you deliver products. Also, in the campaign settings, set it to only reach users who are in your area, rather than those who are interested in your area.
You have the ability to showcase your products with images, product name and description and price to users before they even click.
Since you only pay per click, all the traffic you pay for is qualified because they already know a lot of what you have to offer and they will only click if they are interested.
The hardest part of setting up a Google Shopping campaign is creating a product feed with a series of attributes required by Google (name, description, price, images, etc.), but Shopify does all that work for you.
For even more information, here are the top 4 tips for promoting your Shopify store on Facebook:
- Always include images of people, whenever possible. For some reason, images of people using your product usually perform better than images of the product itself..
- Include social proof in your ads. If your Shopify products have reviews or testimonials, mention it in the ad. What usually works well is to include a testimonial quoted in the text of the Facebook ad.
- Test multiple ads per ad set. The ideal scenario is to test two image ads and two video ads. For some reason, one or two ads will outperform the others in terms of engagement and sales..
- Include a good offer. Don't just run a generic ad, hoping that users will click and buy from your Shopify store. Prepare a compelling offer that you think will convince users who see your ad to buy from your Shopify store. Keep in mind that if the offer isn't compelling enough for you to consider buying, it's likely to be compelling enough for everyone who views your ad..,
10. Analyze the results
Online businesses need to track a variety of metrics to assess their performance and identify areas for improvement.
A key metric is the conversion rate, which measures the percentage of visitors to a Web site who take a desired action, such as making a purchase.
A high conversion rate indicates that a website is effective at converting visitors into customers.
Another important metric is average order value, which measures the average amount customers spend per transaction.
A high average order value indicates that customers are spending more per transaction, which can be a sign of customer satisfaction.
Other KPIs like bounce rate and page views can help us improve our Shopify store.
Tracking these and other e-commerce metrics is essential for any successful online business.
Various tools are available directly from Shopify or even advertising platforms..
However the most powerful tool remains Google Analytics because it allows you to track the results of all advertising sources (Facebook, Google ect..).
Thanks to Google Analytics you can:
Track the origin of your traffic.
Track what all your traffic is doing on your site (pages visited, time spent, etc.).
Finally, and most importantly, how much money your customers spend on your site.
11. Optimize conversions with Shopify
When you have an online store, it is important to attract users and encourage them to make a purchase.
This may seem obvious, but it's easy to focus on creating a beautiful and functional site without worrying about conversions.
If you don't take steps to improve your conversion rate, you risk seeing your sales stagnate or even decrease.
There are many ways to optimize conversions on Shopify, but here are some key steps to follow:
- Provide a smooth user experience : Make sure your site is easy to navigate and that users can find what they are looking for quickly and effortlessly. Use clear menus and well-placed call-to-action buttons to guide visitors through your site.
- Diversify the images: Images are important to engage visitors and help them better understand what you are selling. If your product page isn't converting, try changing the images and optimizing them for SEO.
- Present special offers: Don't just run a generic ad, hoping that users will click and buy from your Shopify store. Prepare a compelling offer that you think will convince users who see your ad to buy from your Shopify store. Remember, if the offer isn't compelling enough for you to consider buying, it's likely to be compelling enough for everyone who sees your ad..
- Keep your site updated: If you don't update your site regularly, people may lose interest and look elsewhere. Add new products and features regularly to keep visitors interested and coming back to your site. By following these steps, you can significantly improve your conversion rate and increase your sales.
By setting up a Shopify store, you can easily create a professional and functional website that converts visitors into customers.
By following a few key steps, you can improve your conversion rate and increase your sales..
By analyzing results, providing a smooth user experience and regularly updating your site, you can create a Shopify store that converts.
Find out what Shopify is and how it works.VIDEO YOUTUBE
Frequently asked questions about creating a Shopify online store.
To create a Shopify account, go to the Shopify website and get a free 14-day trial, with no commitment.
The cost of creating an online store on Shopify will depend on the subscription you choose. There are several packages: Shopify Lite ($9/month), Basic Shopify ($29/month), Shopify ($79/month), Advanced Shopify ($299/month).
Yes. Shopify is one of the most user-friendly e-commerce platforms to help beginners and small business owners set up and manage their online store for the first time.
Yes. Shopify is one of the most user-friendly e-commerce platforms to help beginners and small business owners set up and manage their online store for the first time.